Friday, August 19, 2011

Let's Talk About Sex Bab-ee!

Okay, so enough with the pity part. It's time to talk about sex.

If someone had told me a year ago that I'd be gearing up to teach a sex ed class, I would have laughed at them. Me teach sex ed? Puh-lease. I blush at the drop of a hat. I blush so hard, I practically glow.

And yet...

It started out innocently enough. Part of our responsibility (as per the rules and regs) where I work is to provide sex education to our clients. I was curious, so I asked what we did to meet that requirement and the response was, "Glad you asked. That sounds like a great project for you."

Since I was still new to working with people with developmental disability, I asked to have a few of the agency's more experienced staff work with me so I could get their perspective. The first time I met with the group that was picked out for me, I went through half a dozen shades of pink and red as I explained what it was we were going to do. Here I was, sitting in a room with a handful of people I barely knew (or had literally just met) talking about sex. Definitely a first for me. Little did I know, that was going to be the easy part.

No comments: