Friday, August 13, 2010

The Job Whirlwind (Part 1)

Bright and early Wednesday morning, I woke up, got ready, and drove an hour and a half to get to my 10:00 interview. I was nervous. I was conflicted. Did I really want this job? Was this job really the right move? I kept warring with myself. But, the most important thing was to find out more about the job before I decided one way or the other. So, after an hour and a half drive, I let the receptionist know I was there and in a few minutes I met HR Gal, my potential new boss.

HR Gal was about my age, maybe a year or a couple years older. I immediately liked her and as the interview progressed (with a little hiccup at the beginning due to a fire drill) I realized that this job was right up my alley. The position title is Training Coordinator and it's a new position. So, I'd be relying on my teaching experience and building a whole position and program from scratch. A unique opportunity, to say the least. And it'd look awesome on my resume as I got further in my career. In short, I was sold. At the end of the interview, HR Gal told me that she really liked me for the job and that she would definitely be calling me back for a second interview next week. I told her I was on a time crunch and that I was available to come back as soon as possible for that second interview. That afternoon, she called. Could I come back tomorrow?

Thursday I met with HR Gal and Boss Guy. Boss Guy is pretty straight forward and very focused on doing whatever he has to do to get the results he wants. Among his goals for the organization, he wants to make sure that the organization is the most desirable employer in the area. One thing that means is that he puts a premium on treating his staff well and he's working toward creating excellent professional development. Both are plusses for me, especially since a training coordinator is integral for that second one.

At the end of the interview, Boss Guy asked me to step outside for a few minutes so he and HR Gal could talk. When they brought me back in, I expected them to tell me either that they were interested in me and would let me know their decision after they talked to the other candidates they were bringing in for interviews, or that, ultimately, they didn't think I was quite the right fit.

I came in and sat down.

"So," Boss Guy said, "we've decided to offer you the job."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm just catching up on my reader, and I'm so excited for you! Whether or not you take the job, I loved that the Boss and HR Gal recognized what you bring to the table. Can't wait for Part 2! xoxo