Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Mrs.

For some reason, this semester all of my students seem to think I'm married. It's weird. You know MLA? Well, if you don't, the header for your papers is supposed to look like this:

Student's name
Instructor's name
Class
Date

This semester, unlike all the previous semesters, I have a ton of students who, in the spot where they put my name, add a Mrs. to it. Color me baffled. I wear no wedding ring, 'cause it's silly for someone who isn't married to do so. I sure as hell haven't mentioned anything about having a husband, again, 'cause I don't have one. Yet, there it is, on paper after paper: Mrs.

What, exactly, is it about me that screams married? Or, what is it about this semester's crop of student that makes them think anyone who teaches them is, by default, married? It's damn strange, that's all I know.

Between that and a few other things, like the male student who walked me from one class to the next (no, dude, your "masculine charms" will not make me give you a better grade) and a cheating issue (I mean, come on, it's the very first week!), the first week of school promises lots of interesting things for the rest of the semester.

No comments: