Sunday, May 2, 2010

Thank the Lord

The day after Mr. Curls contemplated selling his Jeep for the cash to go to a talent showcase, I got a call from him in the morning after he'd finished his physical therapy appointment. Among other things, we talked a little about the showcase.

"I've been thinking about it a lot," he said. I cringed and held my breath, anxiously waiting. "All things considered, I've decided not to go. It's just not financially sound for me right now."

Thank George it was over the phone, because I was practically doing my happy dance. All I said was, "I think you made a good call." What I was thinking was, "Hallelujah! There's hope for him yet!"

I'm super relieved that he decided to walk away from the showcase. I never had a good feeling about it and I very much believe he just cannot afford it. But, on the other hand, I'm not his mom and it's not my place to boss him around. I'm a part of his life, yes, but I'm not a part of his bank account. If things keep on going like they have and we get to the point where it's less about his finances versus my finances and more about our finances, then I'll certainly be more assertive. But, for now, that's not the case and he has to make his own decisions.

The fact that he made the "right" decision in this case is extremely reassuring. He may be a bit problematic in the judgment area, but he's not a total lost cause.

4 comments:

Jamy said...

Whew. :)

Iva Messy said...

I'm glad he made the 'right' decision. and you did the right thing by being support but not too opinionated on the whole deal. Like you said, when its about the both of your finances then you most certainly can have a much stronger stance :)

Anonymous said...

Yay! Your last sentence sums it up perfectly! *Sigh of relief*

Jean said...

Yeah, I was way, way relieved when he told me what he'd decided, 'cause I'm not sure how I would've reacted if he'd decided to go to the showcase. We may have ended up having a very difficult conversation. I would not have enjoyed that and I'm not sure it would've turned out well.