Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A List To Start With

I like lists. They're neat and tidy and once you've written one down, you feel like you've accomplished something. I make them often. Something in the act itself makes things feel more ordered and safe. Thus, I figured it would be good to have a list. I'm grouping the list in terms of girly and non-girly.

Non-Girly:
  • I'm big on stoicism.
  • I'm not always a big talker.
  • I like to present myself as coming from a position of power and control.
  • I tend to be blunt/direct.
  • I have a competitive streak.
  • I don't spend a lot of time/money on specialized grooming products - i.e. I don't own a hair dryer, don't use my curling iron, don't have hair spray or make up, and I have never had a manicure or pedicure.
  • I really like having my alone time.
  • When I was engaged, I planned my wedding to be simple: do the license at the court house, then have a BBQ with friends and family.
  • I break problems down into a plan of attack. I don't want to talk and talk about something, I'd rather just start doing something about it.
  • I keep my nails short because it's practical that way.
  • I'm one of the least squeamish people I know. My parents are hunters. I worked at an animal rehab. center for a number of years, which entailed lots of excrement clean up and taking animals apart.
  • Except for very rare occasions, I'd much rather cram stuff into my pockets than carry a purse.
Girly:
  • I make jewelry and rarely step out of the house without wearing a necklace that coordinates with my outfit.
  • I'm a big fan of young mammals like puppies and kittens or babies.
  • I love bath salts and lotions.
  • I have lots of scented candles.
  • I put time into shopping for clothes, trying on many things to make sure that what I buy looks good on me and fits.
  • I sometimes speak to my dog in baby talk.
  • In certain circumstances, I'm quite the gossip.

Two things are clear in this list: I find a lot more of my traits to be non-girly than to be girly, (which, admittedly, we already knew), and that I have certain prejudices about "girly" ness. But, well, there it is. A frame of reference.

No comments: