Sunday, November 2, 2008

Omission

I went over to my folks' house yesterday to hang out with my mom, brother and brother's new girlfriend. While we were all in the kitchen my mom glanced down at my bare feet.

Mom: Ew, why are your nails painted green?

I hesitated a moment. I could tell her that Amanda made me do it, but that would lead to a whole explanation of what I'm doing and why. There, in front of mom, my brother, and the girlfriend, I just didn't want to get into it.

Me: Because I painted them green, that's why.

My mom and I are on pretty good terms these days, but I just don't think she would understand what I'm doing and why. I can see it in my head, I would try to explain it, and she would say, "But, why?" She might think I was having some kind of crisis, or just outright losing my mind. I don't know, but I can't possibly imagine her just nodding and saying, "Huh, sounds interesting." No, she'd want details, an in-depth explanation. Justification.

No thanks, I'll pass.

No comments: