Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Couples, Couples, Couples

There's a theory about relevance. The theory is, you buy a red chevy and all of a sudden, all you see everywhere is red chevys. It's a radar theory - you're paying more attention to something and so you spot it often.

I'm having a reverse relevance experience. Every where I look, I see couples. Thanks to the seasonal job, for hours on end I stand in a store, watching people my age walk by hand-in-hand. I see gals my age pushing baby strollers around. I see a cute guy, then his girlfriend/wife rounds the corner right behind him.

I gotta tell you, it's extremely annoying. Where are the single guys? Have they all gone into hiding?

2 comments:

restaurant refugee said...

I think that the radar theory still applies in the sense that you haven't purchased the red chevy but you have decided that you want one. Therefore you're more alert to the presence of the red chevy.

I know that closing this logical circle doesn't help, but it might be a start.

Jean said...

Yup, that's it exactly.