Saturday, January 9, 2010

Job Hunting With Renewed Vigor

There are few things more motivating to get a new job than returning to the old one. Thursday was the day of pre-semester meetings and a reminder of why, at the end of the day, I'm not satisfied being an adjunct. The bottom line: I get paid a laughably small amount of money, I have no benefits or job security, and the current department make up is heavy with favoritism and (big surprise) I'm not one of the favorites.

I like a lot of things about being an adjunct and I genuinely have fun teaching. Also, it's a great job to have when you're still taking classes. It's just that when I look at the cost/benefits break down of it all, relative to the potential of promotion/teaching more classes, the result is that I need a different job.

Today I'm working on my application materials for one job. There's another job that's being created through the local YWCA that I'm going to apply for once it's official - bonus: a good friend knows the guy who's setting up the new job, so I've got an in through her. Also, I'm keeping my eyes peeled & searching websites for anything else that might be promising.

The extra bonus is that my teaching schedule this semester is evening-heavy since two of my classes are night classes and the third is a 3:30-5:00 class. That leaves the bulk of my days open, which is conveniently conducive to getting started with a new job even before the semester is over.

Now I just have to go through all the hoops & inevitable rejection that a job search entails. Whoo-hoo! Thankfully, I have a lot right now to remind me of why I'm doing it.

No comments: