Friday, January 1, 2010

The Small Town-ness Of It All

I didn't feel like going out last night, but I did it anyway 'cause that's how you avoid being a hermit, right? Besides, even though I went alone, I was bound to run into somebody. In fact, I ran into a few somebodies.

There was the regular who drinks scotch and soda tall - he's the father of a girl I used to be friends with in elementary school. There was the guy in the band who's married to a gal I met as an undergrad and work with now. There was the regular who tells me politically incorrect jokes that always make me giggle. The gal who does my hair was there for her boyfriend who's in the band. My bartender crush was there, too, as the sound guy for the band. Sadly, as far as I can tell, he doesn't even know I exist.

Then, too, there was the gossip. Politically incorrect guy is a couple years younger than me, Hispanic, and has the most gorgeous cheekbones you've ever seen. He's also one of the few people I've known who I'd describe as melancholy. He's got a girlfriend now - a cougar gal who's about a decade older than him.

Later on, while I was sitting with hairdresser gal and percussionist guy, a couple walked past.
HG: That dude is drunk.
PG: Very drunk. And that gal is Bartender guy's ex.

Of course, I couldn't keep my ears from perking up. There wasn't much else said, but a little while later, the ex went over to talk to Bartender guy. It's always strange seeing the second person in a couple after you've met the first. The gal's in her late twenties, blond, pretty and heavy set. It was a nice reminder, in a culture that's so obsessed with tiny gals, to see her next to skinny Bartender guy. Yeah, they're broken up, but you have to date somebody before they can become your ex. There was something there, once, and it wasn't there because she's a twig.

I didn't get a kiss to ring in the new year, but I did get a bit of champagne, some laughs, and a few hugs. Not too shabby, I think.

No comments: