Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Student Barometer

Tonight was my last first day of class. It's bizarre having such a late schedule. I'm used to starting with an 8 a.m. or 9 a.m. class, but this semester my earliest class is at 3:30, and my other two are night classes that go from 5:30-8:30. All three are the same course and it's one I haven't taught before, so this is the semester of newness.

Now that I've met all three classes, I'm able to relax a bit. I've met the students, learned their names, and gotten the general class personality of each. Now I know what to expect. Now I know which students I should keep my eye on in case they become problematic.

It's exhausting, this first part. Wears me right out.

Tonight I had an older student ask me how long I've been teaching at this university. If he was braver, he would have just come right out and asked me how old I am. Yup, I think he's going to be that guy.

I was very entertained later during the break when I heard that guy's buddy ask one of the gals in class how old she thought the guy was.

Without missing a beat, she said, "Twelve."

I think I just found a new favorite student.

2 comments:

Kendall said...

I love this. You probably can guess why.

Jean said...

I'm glad you're entertained ;)