Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Going-Away Party

I mentioned in a previous post that Amanda is moving. Her husband moved out to the new place first, and some of his coworkers had a going away party for him. Amanda was excited for me to come because her husband works with some young single guys. So, I was ordered to come with my hair done, eyelashes curled, and in something cute.

I arrived at the party, being held in a bar, and met a few of the young single guys, including one who was quite attractive, but ultimately boring. It was an interesting night. Educational as well.

On account of the being dolled up, I got some attention. Once I moved to another table to talk to other people, Attractive Dude kept glancing over at me, which was flattering. Another guy, who was nice enough, but a hardcore stoner (which is on my short list of deal-breakers), was also keen.

Amanda: I've never seen Stoner move in on a girl that fast. Wow.

It was good for the ego, getting eyeballed. But, I'm looking for a guy I can actually talk to, not just one who likes boobs, (in the grand scheme of man-catching, they're my best physical asset). So, despite my and Amanda's best attempts at getting me chummy with a young single guy, nothing really happened. The young single crowd was primarily interested in booze, and they soon left the bar so they could do some barhopping, while I stayed at the actual party and had two drinks the whole night because I just don't share that fascination with alcohol.

No, I didn't end up hitting it off with the single guys. Instead, I spent a great deal of time having fun conversations with two of the older married guys in attendance, and got along best with the married guy who's twenty years older than me. The married guys were funny, smarter, and more interesting than the singles - which really stand to reason, since married guys are generally more confident and have a different set of priorities on account of them being, well, married.

But, now I know what kind of guy I need. I need to find a single guy who's in his mid-to-late twenties, but thinks like he's in his mid-forties and already married. Because, time and again, not only in this situation, but plenty of others, those are the guys I get along best with.

No comments: