Saturday, April 25, 2009

The First Date

In a weird kind of reversal, my nervousness actually lightened up as it got closer to the time of the date. It didn't leave me completely, but once I was in the car and driving, I relaxed a bit. I had a job, I had something to focus on, even if it was just driving. Then I had to find the restaurant, which was another thing to focus on.

The nerves came back once I spotted the place. One door down I had that momentary thought of stopping, turning around, and running. Instead, I went through the front door and up to the hostess.

Me: Hi. I'm meeting someone and I'm hoping you can help me find him.
She smiled. From my waitressing experience, I could guess pretty easily what that smile said - she knew this was a first date/first meeting scenario and she was entertained.
Me: His name is Army Guy.
Her: And you're The Girl?
Me: That'd be me.
She smiled again and lead me back to him.

Army Guy was as-advertised in his portfolio. Good looking, smart, and confident. Best of all, he could hold up his end of a conversation and make me laugh. I like the assertiveness and the fact that he has a good idea of who he is - which I've discovered rarer than I would've thought. At the end of the night (about three-and-a-half hours later) he walked me to my car and I invited him to a work party I'm going to tonight. I added that I'd understand if he wasn't too keen to be tossed into the midst of a pack of strangers.

Me: So, would you like to come?
Him: That depends.
Me: On what?
Him: Do I get a goodnight kiss?
Me: I think that can be arranged.

He hasn't said for sure yet, I'm thinking it's about 50/50 and he's supposed to call me today. I'd really like to get Amanda's take on him. Without over-analyzing it too much, I'm not completely sure of my reaction to him yet. On one hand, I think he's a nice guy and I like him, and on the other, I realize that I've gotten very comfortable being single. Is Army Guy the one to shake me out of my rut? Not sure yet, but I'd like to find out.

No comments: