Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Undergrads and Undergrads

The first day of the semester went well. Not perfect, but well. The good parts were meeting my students and having all of my numerous handouts copied a couple days early. The not so good part was a series of technology issues in the computer labs where my classes are held. The phone lines for the IT department were very busy yesterday, let me tell you.

Thanks to my fast and dirty schedule - three classes in four hours, with an hour break for my office hours - I was done at noon. As far as the students themselves go, I'm trying a different approach with them this semester. I'm working on being more personable. I don't want to be their friend, but I do want them to feel like they can approach me if they need help. We'll see how it goes.

I hung out in the office to eat some lunch, then went to the gym and had a pretty intense work out. While I was on the cardio machine, BB was going through a workout with an undergrad. boy. The seated calf raise machine is right in front of where I was, so I got a little thrill of satisfaction when I was the undergrad was only doing 25 lbs. I'm up to 45.

In light of that accomplishment, when I got home I picked up my tape measure from the cabinet top it's been sitting on for the past month. My stomach is an inch smaller since I measured last. So is my waist. I've gotten some compliments lately about my workouts paying off, but now I have empirical evidence of the effects. That makes me happy.

I feel like I got a lot done yesterday, which is exciting.

3 comments:

rachaelgking said...

Getting a lot done... I've sort of forgotten what that feels like. ;-)

Iva Messy said...

YES! I love days when I feel like I am getting so much done! FABULOUS! Have a good one!

Jean said...

Oh yes, feeling like I've been productive always makes me happy :)