Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Amanda's Turning Point

Sunday, before Mr. Curls met me to head over to my parents' for brunch, I got a call from Amanda.

"Hey," I said. "Where have you been? I kept trying to get a hold of you yesterday, and you didn't answer your phone, punk."

"Believe me," she said, "You wouldn't have wanted to talk to me yesterday anyway. I was in a really, really bad mood."

"I know, that's why I was trying to talk to you. You needed someone to talk to."

"I'm feeling better now."

"I'm glad. So, talk to me. Tell me what's going on."

We had a long talk and I did my best to be helpful and supportive. It's hard when all I've got to work with is a phone line. She's at a crossroads right now, trying to make a difficult decision, and even though she knows in her gut what she should do, it's scary to actually do it. Change is always scary, and this is one of those situations where it'd be a very hard change. But, I believe it'd be for the best and I hope she can be brave enough to do it. I'll certainly be behind her all the way.

"All the signs point toward it," she said.

"I know."

"But, there's so much I stand to lose."

"I'm not saying it'd be easy. I'm just saying, at this point, it may be the only thing that will make you happy in the long term. I want you to be happy. You deserve it, and you aren't right now. If you do this, you'll give yourself the chance."

"I don't believe you," she said, lightening the serious tone by using a joke we share.

"You never do. I'm used to it. It's okay, though, 'cause I've been right every other time you haven't believed me. I'm optimistic that, one day, you'll notice the pattern and actually trust me on something."

She laughed, "Don't hold your breath."

No comments: