Monday, March 1, 2010

The Day Where Mr. Curls Meets... Everybody

Up to this point, Mr. Curls had met two of my friends. Then, on Sunday, he met just about everybody else who's important to me.

The first stop was brunch with my parents. He was a bit nervous, but I reassured him that it'd be fine. And, it was. They liked him, he liked them, and before long, they were getting along like it wasn't the first time they'd met. Since I was an easy target for getting picked on, they even had some common ground right away ;)

Once my mom had made sure Mr. Curls was well-fed, we were off to meet up with the big group of my writers' crew for dinner. We made a few stops in between to kill time between meals, then we met up with the gang. After the crew gave him the once over, especially the guys, they warmed up to him right away. He's good at getting along with people and it wasn't long before Mr. Curls was cracking a few jokes right along with everyone else.

On the drive home, Mr. Curls remarked, "Your parents, your friends, they act like they expect to see more of me."

"That's the plan."

He smiled. "I like that."

I was so glad that Mr. Curls hit it off with my parents and with my friends. The fact that they like each other is a good sign. I especially like the part where he wanted to meet them. The fact that when I brought up the idea of dinner, he was not just willing to go, but even excited, is important to me. He wants to know the people who're important to me.

Today, my parents came by to drop something off, and it didn't take them long to grill me.
"We didn't want to put him on the spot yesterday, but now we're going to put you on the spot," my dad said. "So... has he ever been married?"

I hesitated a moment, but since dad had asked me directly, I answered truthfully. A few more questions, and they were filled in on Mr. Curls' complications. They were thoughtful. Mom reminded me to be cautious.

"Yeah," I said. "We've talked about it all and we're taking things slow. If this is going to work out, we'll have plenty of time for things like me meeting his kids. No need to rush."

Mom nodded, reassured. "Good."

"He's more complicated that I would have hoped, but I really like him, and he's a good guy."

"Maybe we'll bring out the baby photos next time we see him," mom said, giving me a wink. So, my parents, like my friends, have their concerns, but they aren't telling me to run screaming.

"Something must be wrong with me," my dad said, "I actually like my daughter's boyfriend."

No comments: