Friday, March 12, 2010

Another Offspring Conversation

Last night, while I was on the phone with Mr. Curls, the subject of his kids and me meeting them came up again. It started with him telling me about a conversation he had with one of his good friends who lives a couple hours away.

"He asked me when I'd bring you and the boys up to visit. I told him it wouldn't be for a while yet, that you and I are taking things slow."

He kind of hesitated, like he was gauging my reaction. Testing the idea, maybe? When we've talked about meeting the kids, Mr. Curls has said that sometime before the boys are on summer break was what he was thinking. I'm thinking summer break is still two months away. I'm thinking that two more months of Mr. Curls going MIA every time he has the boys for the weekend is not ideal.

I'm not saying I've got mommy cravings, but the idea of Mr. Curls being totally off limits just 'cause his kids are with him is something I'm over. Not that I want to meet the kids ASAP, but two more months seems long.

Part of it, too, might be that Mr. Curls has met my people. He's come with me to a few social gatherings with my people. He's getting to be part of my whole circle. Then, on his side, I went to the wedding. I didn't really get to talk to his people much, 'cause they were busy with the wedding, and the most I've really talked to anyone who's important to him is a handful of sentences. I know it's not a matter of him trying to keep me a secret, but it does seem like there's some hesitation on his part about me mixing too much with his people.

He said something about how he was worried that me meeting the boys might scare me off. He said it jokingly, but the joke was kind of forced. It's like he wants to keep me separate because he's worried that I'll only like him outside of his natural habitat or something. It's weird. Or, maybe it's the novelty of the new girlfriend? I'm all new and shiny, so I'm like the new hobby that's pulled him away from his routine and the socializing that went with it? I dunno. It could be something, it could be nothing, but either way, I think it merits a mention.

I've become invested in Mr. Curls. He's important enough to me that I like being a part of his life. Now, I want to be involved with the rest of the parts of his life.

2 comments:

City Girl said...

Would there be a way for him to incorporate you more into his world without meeting his kids? Baby steps (pun intended).

Jean said...

Lol. That was kind of my train of thought, too. Not, though, how it's looking to go.