Monday, March 8, 2010

Bishop Castle

Mr. Curls and I are both native Coloradans. This means we should've known better than to plan a trip up to see Bishop Castle (Google it!) in March. We especially should've known better than to plan a picnic for said excursion. But, with the gorgeous run of weather we've had lately in the lower elevations, we forgot that the weather in town and the weather in the mountains are two different kettles of fish. As we drove higher and higher up the mountain in Mr. Curls' Jeep, the snow got deeper and deeper.

"Hmm..." he said.
"Indeed," I said.
"We didn't really think this through, did we?"
"Nope."
Then he reached over and turned up the heater to counterbalance the draft coming through the Jeep's battered rag top.

We finally arrived and, after a brief jaunt to check out the picnic area, we promptly decided to picnic in the Jeep instead. Then, after lunch, we bundled up and roamed the castle, pausing often so I could get pictures.



It may sound weird, but I'm kind of glad for the misadventure. In part, because it just makes a funnier story that way, and in part because I got to see how he reacted to things going awry. When plans go sideways, that's when you really get to know people. Most anyone can be pleasant when things are going smoothly, but, throw a wrench in, and sometimes people get all bent out of shape and unpleasant.

Happily, Mr. Curls just shrugged it off, made a couple jokes, then gave me a hug and went tromping around the castle with me like it wasn't cold and windy at all. Then he got into the whole picture idea and even used my camera to get a few shots of his own. I also got to see his rock climbing skills in action when he climbed up the wall on one of the staircases to get a photo. Though, when he started speculating about how he could scale the outer wall of the castle, I asked him to kindly not 'cause seeing him climbing that high without any gear would scare the crap out of me. He was nice enough not to traumatize me.

If you have a chance to check out the castle, I definitely recommend it. It's a one of a kind. However, I'd highly recommend waiting until May-ish to make the trip.

4 comments:

JUST ME said...

Where are you in Colorado?

I'm here too. And damn. The weather is stupid in the mountains.

Jean said...

I'm nearish the Colorado Springs area.

rachaelgking said...

Haha! Aww, I think that's the true test of a relationship though- making it through things like that with a smile on your face.

Jean said...

True dat.