Monday, March 15, 2010

Mr. Curls Gets Nervous, But It's Okay Because He's Outnumbered

Last night me and Mr. Curls talked more about meeting the kids. He's nervous about it. When I asked him why, he had a hard time answering. It has to do with his latest ex, and concern for his kids, and the worry that me and them will get attached to each other and then I'll do a runner. I get it.

He talked to his sister about it. She's got two kids of her own from her first marriage, so she gets it. But, as she pointed out, "From the sound of it, she's not going anywhere soon, and you don't want her to. Besides, she seems nice. It'll be fine."

I think hearing that from her eased his mind a bit. Also, the fact that both me and the kids are interested in meeting each other helps. Probably didn't hurt that they gave him a bit of grief about it. "We don't think she really exists, dad," they said. "We think you're just making her up." Though, they admitted, if he really were making me up, he could at least have made up a girlfriend who's something, anything else other than a teacher. E, the nine year old, was sorely disappointed that I teach English of all things. Apparently, he'd prefer I was a science teacher. Hard to argue that, though. Doing experiments and occasionally blowing stuff up truly would be way cooler than grading papers all the time.

In any event, he isn't quite ready to name the date, but it'd bet we'll all start getting to know each other the next time he has the boys for the weekend, which means the weekend after next.

2 comments:

City Girl said...

Whether you meet Mr. Curls' kids in two weeks or two months, it sounds as though you both are invested. He's talking about the kids with you and you with them. And, he's asking his friends for their opinion on the matter. It really is a matter of "when," not "if."

I bet that you'll wow them, even though you aren't a science teacher ;).

Jean said...

Well said. Now that we've got a date set, it certainly feels right.

Even though I'm merely an English teacher, I'm optimistic about it :)