Sunday, February 21, 2010

*Cue Dramatic Music

A few days back, I was talking with my mom on the phone. While we were chatting, she says, oh-so-casually, "Has your brother called you?"

"Actually, he just tried while we were talking. I let it go to voicemail. What's up?"

"Oh, he just has a bit of maybe-good or maybe-bad news."

Immediately, I do "news" math. Mom's being cryptic and my brother, who never calls anybody, is trying to get a hold of me. What's the first thing that'd pop int YOUR head? "Well, mom. I better let you go and see if I can call him back."

I call. I get voicemail. Next I fire up my computer and go to Facebook, because his girlfriend is a Facebook fiend and if she's pregnant or she and my brother are engaged, I figure it's got to be plastered all over there by now. Especially, since she just had a status update about how her and my brother talked via webcam for the first time that day. I figure, a long-distance proposal by webcam could've happened. Nothing on the girlfriend's Facebook.

Logically, that made me think the news was something involving his pilot training for the Air Force. Maybe they'd found something in his physical or a test that made him ineligible for being a pilot.

The next day, at about five, my brother calls me. "So, mom says you have news."

He chuckled. Then his doorbell rang. "Oh, hey, I'm going to have to call you back."

It was perfect. Straight out of a sitcom. It took him an hour to call me back. An hour!

"Alright, brother, spill."

"Oh, about that. I'm selling my El Camino."

"What?"

"I guess that's the news mom was talking about. I'm selling my car."

"I'm gonna kill her. She gets me all worked up, for this? I'm gonna kill her."

Of course, by that point, my brother was laughing deep belly laughs. He thought it was hilarious. The reason he had to call me back was because someone had come to the house to look at the car. Someone who, a few days later, bought it.

Guess I'm not going to be an aunt, or a sister-in-law, quite yet. But, at least my brother's sold his car. 'Cause that's important to me.

No comments: