Saturday, February 20, 2010

A Wedding

Mr. Curls has a sister. Well, he calls her his sister, but she's really a really close friend. Their moms were best friends and so they've grown up together and have been calling each other siblings since forever.

"That's weird," I said to Amanda, a few days after meeting him. "I mean, that is weird, right?"
"Um... is there any chance that he wants to sleep with her?"
"I really don't think so. And, she's engaged to another dude."
"Okay. It's fine then. He wants that kind of bond with someone and who knows better than you and I about how people use language to create connection?"
"I see your point." Duh. If anybody should understand the power of words, I should. I'm getting the English MA to prove it, even. So, now I get the "sister" thing. It's a quirk, but it makes sense.

It was his sister and her fiance who got him out of his apartment and dragged him out to the bar on the night we met. She's the one I have to thank for having a stranger walk up to me with the world's worst pick-up line. ("I totally didn't mean it as a line," he said, blushing. "I swear! I was curious. You don't see a lot of people sitting at a bar, drinking water and writing.")

Mr. Curls' sister is marrying the fiance on Wednesday, which will coincidentally be the first time I meet the sister. No pressure, now. I would have liked to have met her for the first time in a setting that's more low key, but the good news is that she'll be a little distracted and, if she'd be inclined to judge me harshly, won't have much time to what with the whole getting hitched thing going on. According to Mr. Curls, she likes what she's heard of me, so that's also good. But, she's one of the most important people in his life, so I really want her to have a good opinion of me.

I also wonder if it'll be weird to go to a wedding with a boyfriend who's been married twice already.

I'll just say I'm glad that the invite to go with him came kind of late because he had been assuming my teaching schedule conflicted with the wedding. This way, I don't have much time to worry about it.

No comments: