Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Wedding

I met Mr. Curls at the courthouse, then we waited for everyone else to arrive. He and I got there first, the groom got there late, and everyone else was somewhere in between. I got to meet a handful of people that have known him for forever, including his "sister" who was very much the way I had pictured her - a lovely lady who's also very much a lady in charge. I also got to meet her mom, who's known Mr. Curls since he was born and is, as a result, rather protective of him.

After we were introduced, she smiled at me. "I'm so glad he found a nice woman." She shook her head, regretfully, "I don't know what he was thinking when he married the last one." So I got her official stamp of approval.

It was an adventure to be "the new girlfriend" at the wedding. Lots of "I've heard a lot about you" and looks that, while friendly, were also doing the math on whether or not I was okay. Everyone was pleasant to me, though with the wedding, they were also pretty focused on the event itself rather than me. I didn't get to know everyone as much as I would have liked to, but I did get a pretty solid impression. Mr. Curls' circle are all right people who keep an eye out for him and seem to think I'm okay. Cheers for that.

He and I took separate cars 'cause it was logistically impossible for me to climb into his Jeep while wearing a skirt. So, on the way out of the reception, as I was getting into my car, I saw one of his old friends walking to her car. She looked over, saw she could nab him while alone for a minute, and B-lined over to get the scoop.

In other news, I wondered if it'd feel weird to be at the wedding with the currently-in-the-middle-of-a-divorce Mr. Curls. I have to say, for the most part, I didn't think of it at all. No weirdness. Mostly, it was just nice to see two people get hitched and meet some of the people who are important to my guy.

2 comments:

mylittlebecky said...

glad to hear it wasn't awkward. and you got the stamp of approval. way to go, lady!

Jean said...

Thanks :)