Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Yes, I'm a bit of a daddy's girl, but not this time

The other day, my dad asked me to go to a father-daughter dance with him. To make matters worse, said dance occurs at the university where I work. Now I'm dreading telling him no, because I don't want to hurt his feelings. However, I'm going to have to tell him no, because there's no way I'm going.

While the idea of going to a dance with my dad doesn't thrill me on its own terms, the deal-breaker comes from the location. I'm one of the youngest instructors on campus and this dance will be swarming with undergrads, some of whom will potentially be my students. The last thing I need is for undergrad students to look at me as being one of them. I need whatever I can hold onto in terms of authority, and going to this event is directly counter to that. Doesn't mean I look forward to telling my dad this. I just hope he won't take it personally. Cross your fingers for me.

2 comments:

rachaelgking said...

Maybe an excuse? Though I guess "I have to wash my cat" doesn't really work on your dad...

Jean said...

tried to get out of it, but he out-maneuvered me. Turns out the shindig isn't at the university after all, thus my excuse of avoiding students doesn't work. Looks like I'm going to the dance.