Sunday, July 5, 2009

A Night at the Bar

On Friday night, I stopped by the bar where I used to work. I caught up on the latest gossip. Sadly, there was little, and talked to the people I worked with. Skunk and Dave were behind the bar when I got there and Skunk gave me a hug. I'm not a real hug-y person, especially not when it comes to guys, but Skunk's an exception. He's a tough looking guy, built big, facial hair, crooked front teeth, but a real teddy bear.

I asked Skunk if he knew of any good cocktails with Goldshlagger in them and, after conferring with Dave, they came up with an oatmeal cookie for me. It was quite good. Depending on where I am and if I know the bartender, I like to experiment. My friend Julia is my favorite bartender and she likes to try new cocktails, so I usually ask her to give me whatever she thinks I'll like. Of course, if I'm at a new place, I know better - there's nothing bartenders/servers like less than to have a complete stranger ask, "What do you think I'll like?"

So, I'm sitting there sipping my cocktail and working on my laptop and I chat with a couple regulars I used to serve. Laura, one of my favorite waitresses to work with before I left, is on the floor. Since it's slow, I chat with her too.

Me: So, what's the news?
Laura: Well, JP (a regular) has a girlfriend now.
Me: That's cool, maybe he'll stop mooning over Sally (another regular) now.
Laura: Ha! Fat chance.
Me: How about you? Got any news on the man friend front?
Laura: Dave and Skunk are men, and they're my friends. Does that count?
Me: Nope.
Laura: I got nothing, then. You?
Me: Not really. There was a guy I saw a couple times, but I just wasn't feeling it.
Laura: I know how that goes. There was this guy, a friend of a friend, and I was totally in love with him for the longest time. Then we went on an actual date, and it was awful.
Me: That sucks.
Laura: It sure does.

No comments: