Friday, June 19, 2009

Hard Core

The other day, as I was cruising along the Interstate on my way to Jenny's, I saw one of the strangest things I've seen in a while. There, walking on the shoulder, was a 20-ish blond guy carrying a cross. This was about ten miles out of my city and about fifteen away from the next patch of civilization, and the cross was huge. Here, let me give you a visual aid:


I pulled this photo off a website (click on the photo if you want to go to it), but it's pretty much the same thing I saw, save that my guy was doing his trek solo. It makes me curious about the guy I saw. I can understand doing something like this in a group, or for a shorter distance, but to do a 20+ mile solo hike along the freaking Interstate? It pretty much offers only two possibilities: he's scary hard core religious, or trying to atone for something big. It's that second option which interests me and makes me wonder. What sin would one do penance for by carrying a cross along the Interstate? Hrm... I'd bet money it had something to do with sex.

No comments: