Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cookies and Kids

Hung out with my friend Jenny yesterday and did some baking. Got to see her two kids, a 7 year old boy and 1 year old girl, which was awesome. I adore her son and was one of the first people to know about Jenny's pregnancy with her daughter. We were camping with a group of friends and, while everyone else went into a tent to get stoned, Jenny and I sat by the campfire playing cards. "I think I might be pregnant," Jenny said, pulling a card off the deck. "It's kind of early to tell, but I'm pretty sure."

Anyhow, we made a cake for her husband in honor of his birthday, did a batch of chocolate chip cookies, and played with the kids. It was great.

Her brother, who lives with them, came home mid-cookie-baking and sat in the kitchen with us. Yes, he's single and about my age. No, there's no way in hell I'd ever date him. To give you an idea of why not - he spoke loads of Spanish during the conversation just to show off, and he doesn't especially speak it well, but that damn sure wasn't going to stop him. Nothing stops him. Head like a brick wall. Totally obnoxious (and not at all in a cute, flirty way, just in a 'please shut him up' way). Ugh. Luckily, he works swing shift and went to bed before long.

The baked goods came out well, but that was secondary for me to sitting on the porch swing with the 7 year old in my lap, talking with Jenny and watching the little girl dance, with all the coordination of a drunk, on the deck.

No comments: