Sunday, June 28, 2009

Head + Wall. Smack. Repeat.

I went out with M. on Friday night. We saw a band, got some coffee, and talked about Mr. B. It's killing me, it truly is. She tells me how it is, and asks me what I think. Then I say, in as diplomatic a way as I can, "I don't think he wants to bone you."

Then she says, "But, what you don't understand is..." and talks about how he must be THE ONE because of how she feels about him.

Me: Okay, I can appreciate that, but you guys still haven't gone on an actual date.
M: Well, no.
Me: Nor have you kissed him.
M: True.
Me: Nor has he said anything about being interested in you as something other than a platonic friend.
M: But, you don't understand. He is the man I'm going to marry.

Uh huh. Right. She says it so absolutely and refuses to even consider any possibility that could run counter to that. It's like she's talking about the existence of gravity, she so definite. One one hand, as her friend, I'd love to see her with this guy she's mooning over. On the other, as a realist, I think she's being an idiot. I mean, come on, I've been there, right? The whole situation is remarkably reminiscent of my crush on The Guy, and when I finally resolved to ask him outright about it, he said "No thanks." So, I can speak from experience here. The more time that passes, and the more I hear about how it's going with M and Mr. B, the more sure I am that it's never going to happen. But, what do I know? She's already picking out her wedding dress.

No comments: