Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Like An Old Married Couple

Yesterday night I met up with some writer friends (we've got a standing coffee date on the 2nd Monday of the month) and invited Amanda to join us. She's stressed out and I knew she needed to get out of the house and be social - hilarious, that I can say that about her, talk about role reversal.

So, at the coffee shop, we've all arrived and it's not too long before Amanda says to the others, "So, has Ali told you about Comic Book Guy?"

Writer friend: What happened to Army Guy?
Amanda: Oh, he's not in the picture any more. He was only interested in one thing, if you know what I mean.

Then she launches into telling the whole story. I have to keep butting in as she goes, to say things like, "No, no. That's not the way it went. This is how it really happened..."

And so the story about Comic Book Guy unfolded in stereo. My writer friends were highly entertained by the two-woman show, save for The Guy, (he was acting weird last night anyway, and now is dating a gal with the same given name as me, which I find unsettling. At least I go by a nickname instead of my given name, 'cause otherwise I'd really be creeped out).

It was like something out of a sitcom. We were our own two-woman show.

No comments: