Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Gym Goals

After something like two months of meeting with BB, I think we've finally gotten to the point where he's starting to get comfortable with me. It helps that I've started talking more. Today he watched me do my core workout. I wasn't looking forward to the idea of getting stared at while I did my workout, but I went to the gym a little early so I could do my upper & lower body workouts before meeting with him. He was working with another client at the same time, going through that guy's entire workout together. So, I ignored them and did my thing and figured BB was probably going to be glancing over from time to time to check up on me ('cause, as a teacher, that's exactly what I'd be doing in that kind of situation). As I was doing my rope pull-downs, BB walked over and said, "Not like that, like this..." proving that he was keeping an eye on me. The rest of it looked good though, he said.

Once he finished up with the other guy, we went through my core workout, which went fine. Back in his office, he brought up goals again. Ever since I started this personal training experience, he's been bringing up goals. During that first meeting, the other gal told me how goals are important, and how to set up SMART goals, yadda, yadda, yadda. I totally understand the importance of goals. I'm not knocking them, but I've been avoiding goals for the gym.

For BB and the other gal, it's all about deciding on a desirable end goal (lose X lbs) and they'll help you figure out the means (do X amount of working out). For me, the means is the end. My goal was all about starting, and maintaining, a workout regimen. Thus goal = achieved. Yeah, I'd also like to go down a pants size, but I see it as a side effect of me being healthier less than the goal itself.

BB: Next time we meet, I want you to tell me a specific goal you have.
Me: *noncomittal sound*
BB: Think about it. Think about what you want to achieve. I don't think you need to lose any weight, so maybe it's something like you want to run a mile in a certain amount of time.
Me: Okay, I'll think about it.

Wait. Was that a compliment? Cool.

So, I'm going to come up with a specific goal I can tell BB about next week and that'll make him happy. In the meantime, I'll work on my other goal of building rapport with BB. I can be friendly with most people, but he's been tough - has a lot to do with my self-consciousness about the gym at the beginning, but now I'm more comfortable.

No comments: