Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Charlie List

Maybe a year ago, I had a dream about, literally, my dream-guy. His name was Charlie. Since then, the detail about the dream have become fuzzy, but the name Charlie has become my shorthand for my ideal guy. Now, as I am a big believer that people tend to find what they're looking for, today seems like a good day for a list of the traits my perfect guy has.

Charlie:
  • Thinks meeting me was like winning the lotto
  • Has the kind of smile that makes me smile when I see it
  • Has a creative passion/passion for creating something
  • Is confident
  • Loves exploration
  • Thinks I'm gorgeous
  • Has a good relationship with his family
  • Takes care of himself - I'm not talking gym fanatic, but someone who puts some effort into being healthy
  • Likes my dog
  • Knows himself & knows what he wants
  • Enjoys the beauty of the world
  • Would rather focus on solutions than problems
  • Puts a premium on loyalty
  • Is flexible and willing to compromise
  • Has at least a bachelor's degree
  • Enjoys traveling to new places
  • Is physically affectionate
  • Makes a phone call instead of sending a text
  • No drugs or cigarettes/cigars
  • Likes to have a couple beers sometimes, but isn't a big drinker
  • Supportive of me, even if he doesn't get why I want something
  • Is more outgoing than me
  • Will try just about anything at least once
  • Is probably not Christian, or at least isn't hard-core
  • Respects my differences - i.e. it's okay if we like different music
  • Cooks
  • Does the dishes
  • Makes romantic gestures - not necessarily a dozen roses, but leaves me a nice note, surprises me with a picnic, type of thing
  • Likes his job
  • Will take risks - thinks having a thing turn out badly is still better than being too afraid to attempt it
  • Laughs easily
  • Enjoys the odd corny joke/pun
  • Gets along with my family
  • Is good at managing his money. Even if he's not exactly raking it in, he's not in debt/buying things he can't afford
  • Would rather buy something because it's interesting/has character than simply because it's a status symbol
  • Gets excited about things like waking up at 3 a.m. to go watch a meteor shower
  • Does what he says he's going to do
I could make the list longer and more specific, but I think these are the most important things. Other stuff, like what kind of job he has or what he looks like, aren't especially important to me. I mean, yeah, he's got to look good to me, but I don't have a specific criteria for that. (A single friend of mine has a long list of the arbitrary shit - must be at least 6" tall with athletic build and blond hair, etc. It's stupid.)

Anyhow, this is my dream list. If you know of a guy who meets this criteria and is in his late 20s/early 30s, do a girl a favor and send him my way.

No comments: