Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Night The Lights Went Out In the Mexican Restaurant

Last night I met up with my novel critique group and, since our usual venue was closed for Memorial Day, we ended up at On the Border. Toward the end of our dinner/meeting, as the rain poured down outside, the lights flickered off, came back on, then promptly went out for good.

The service staff looked at each other, wondering what to do, and my friends and I continued with our meeting, trying to read critique comments in the gloomy light from the window.

The restaurant was pretty empty when the power went out, so it kind of felt like the five of us were the only people there. Sitting around talking in the dark reminded me a bit of camping and telling stories at night. When the waiter brought us a can of sterno in the attempt to give us some kind of light, the effect was enhanced.

Power outages have always been kind of fun for me, it's the novelty, if nothing else. It was a pretty romantic experience, overall. If only I'd been there on a date rather than with three women and a married guy.

No comments: