Monday, May 25, 2009

Sunday Night Jazz

Last night I went out with my afore-mentioned friend M. and met one of her gal pals from work. We went to a tacky little bar to listen to jazz because of a guy M. has a crush on. Now, let me give you a picture of how, for all that I live in a 150,000 population city, it's still very small town. When M. first started telling me about this guy who she went to college with and recently re-connected with via Facebook, I realized that he was none other than Mr. B, my orchestra teacher when I was a junior & senior in high school.

Anyhow, I went to the tacky bar with M. and her friend and had a couple of realizations.
1. The frustrations of one single gal are very, very much like the frustrations of any other single gal.
2. I really don't have any friends my own age (M. is about 15 years older than me, and her friend has a daughter my age).

So, we hung out at the bar and talked about Mr. B. as M.'s friend and I tried to figure out whether his lack of advances on M. were simple lack of interest or being a chicken, or both. Mr. B came out of a bad divorce a couple years back and I never got the impression of him being a particularly confident guy except when he has an instrument in his hands.

As the band got going, I thought about a couple I met at the bar. They've since become friends of mine. The guy plays trumpet and sometimes sits in with local bands. Not long after I was thinking this, the couple in question came through the door. I waved, said howdy, and reminded myself that these two are one reason to be optimistic about this whole dating thing, and especially about the dating online thing. Before they met each other, both had kids and divorces, and then they went on Yahoo personals. Now they've been married for two years and still adore each other.

I think about that part, and I think about my groovy friends. I don't think about the part where Army Guy said he'd call and hasn't.

No comments: