Saturday, May 9, 2009

Army Guy Loses Points

I still like Army Guy, but some of the gloss is wearing off. The first date was all about impressing me, but less so now. Some flakiness is starting to show through. He called me around noon on Friday and we made plans for him to come to my town that night. He thought around six or seven would work and he'd call me later to get my address when he was getting ready to head my way. Note: it takes 45 min. to an hour to get from where he lives to where I live.

He called at 6:30 and said he still needed to take a shower. I wasn't surprised, he seems to have a hard time with time. (Date 2 he was running late even though I said I'd get there half an hour later than the time he originally suggested). But, going off of Date 2, I know he takes a fast shower. I gave him my address and figured he'd get here within an hour or so. 8:30, he arrives and says sorry for being late, but he had to watch the end of a football game. Really? That's the excuse? Isn't it a little early in the dating process to be running late on me?

Otherwise, though, the evening went well. Dinner, a walk around downtown, a bit of coffee, and some more partial nudity on the couch at the end.

At the end, I walked him out to his car and did what Amanda had coached me to do.
Me: I had a nice time tonight.
AG: Me too.
Me: I'm going out of town this Thursday and would very much like to see you again before then.
AG: Yeah, we'll make plans. (turned toward his car to leave)
Me: Like, for instance?
AG: I'll call you tomorrow.
Me: Okay.

It wasn't ideal, as the idea was to get him to say what and when right there, but I didn't feel like pushing it and I decided that making plans the next day would be soon enough. Guess who didn't call today.

So, I'm torn. Army Guy's ego is showing through and I'm not liking this being taken for granted vibe I'm feeling. On the other hand, I'd tend to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he wouldn't think any part of this was amiss. Then again, if he doesn't see a problem here, doesn't that say something important in and of itself?

This flakiness cancels out his bonus points for liking Neil Gaiman and knocks his grand tally down a few. It raises lots of questions, including: What am I looking for from him? At what point do I walk away if this continues? How harshly do I call "bullshit?" How much of his interest in me is just interest in having sex with me? How much of his interest in me is actually interest in me?

I've got to talk to Amanda tomorrow. One thing she said just keeps ringing in my head, (she said it during one of our conversations about how I needed to wait to have sex with him). She told me to wait because first impressions can be misleading: "They're never as great as you think."

No comments: