Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Phone Call

I called Army Guy when I got back into town. No answer, I left a message, and it took him two days to call me back. I missed the call and called him back about half an hour later.

Him: Hey, what's up?
Me: Oh, I just got home.
Him: Can I call you back? I'm at the chiropractor.
Me: Sure. Talk to you later.

Cue the panic attack.

My mind immediately jumped into worst-case scenario mode. There was only one reason for him to call. Only one thing he could want to say, "This isn't working." I prepped for it, decided what I would say, and thought about going back to not having to worry about him.

He called back. I braced myself. Then we had a twelve-minute phone conversation that was just chatting. No, "This isn't working" or anything along those lines. He just told me how his weekend went and asked how my trip had gone.

At the end of the call, I was confused. A twelve-minute phone call that hadn't featured making plans. All he said was he'd call me again in the next day or two (he likes to do that, be the one who calls). What did it mean? Stupid Amanda, being unavailable.

Then I had a realization. That whole conversation had happened because he wanted to talk to me. He wanted to hear my voice. He wanted to know how my day was going. Go figure.

No comments: