Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I Am Such a Nerd

During my senior year of high school, I was a member of chess club. I went with my friend Jeremy (one of the tallest, loomiest guys I've ever known) and it was me, him, the student teacher who sponsored the club, and a handful of underclassmen boys. I was the worst chess player out of everyone, and probably only won maybe three games the whole time, but I didn't mind. Also, I was the only girl. I mentioned this to Army Guy once and he said, "You must have gotten hit on all the time." No, not really. I think it likely that the boys were scared by Jeremy (remember, big and looming).

Anyhow, this summer I'm making it my goal to find ways of getting out of the house and into the world more. Hard to make friends/meet guys when I'm home alone. So, I looked in the newspaper for what's going on this week. Last night, the town chess club had a meeting at a local coffee shop. Why not? I figured. Not that chess club is really a happening thing for young single guys, but it's something that interests me.

I went to the coffee shop, met the three people who showed up, played a game or two with each of them, got beat each time, and got kind of adopted by two hard-core players who told me some strategy and showed me a couple of maneuvers. It was fun.

Like my high school experience, I think I'll be the odd-man out. I was the youngest of the bunch by far, though Liz said last night was a small turn out, so it's hard to judge for sure. She also perked up at the idea of recruiting me as it'd mean having two females in the club vs. just her.

This so doesn't help me find single gal pals my own age, but it's a start at being less of a hermit.

No comments: