Monday, May 4, 2009

The Gym

At the university where I work, they're offering a free personal training program for rec. center members. I'd never belonged to a gym before in my life, but I figured I'd take it as a sign from the powers that be to join. So, I arranged a meeting with the gal running the program.

When I showed up, she introduced me to the guy who'll be working with me. He's about my age and a body builder, which I wasn't expecting - I thought I'd be working with this gal specifically, which was an idea I liked because I wanted a woman. But, in for a penny, in for a pound, right? So, the three of us do a run down of why I'm there and how the whole thing works, then Body Builder took me on a tour of the gym.

The tour was interesting in a way that had nothing at all to do with the gym itself and everything to do with my guide. One aspect of my personality is silence. These days it's not really something that has to do with shyness (though it used to). More, it's about either concentration or waiting to see what someone's going to say. Sometimes I do it on purpose, sometimes I don't, but either way, it has a tendency to unnerve people.

During the tour, I was focused on BB's explanations of what the different equipment does and I really didn't have many questions. I was business-like instead of chatty, and it had its usual effect. BB started strutting just a bit. He went through a lot of machines and used them to show me how they worked, instead of having me try them. Then, he would make these off-hand comments to impress me, along the lines of "This is how you do it the easy way, and this is how you do it the hard way, which is the way I do it." It was funny. That, and the unsubtle boob glances. I'm well-endowed in the chest area, and am practiced in spotting the boob glance.

I can imagine the internal monologue: This girl isn't really paying me attention like other girls do. *check boobs* But, she's a girl, and I'm so macho. Maybe if I do something else that's tough she'll be impressed.

It was funny. Aside from that, though, I think he's plenty personable and he knows what he's doing, so I expect we'll get along just fine. In the mean time, I've done my first week of my training plan, and have had the fun experience of my muscles being sore from unaccustomed training. Today my abs are mad at me. Very mad. I've got to admit, though, that it feels good to be working out. Right now I'm a wuss and my work out plan reflects that, but you've got to start somewhere.

No comments: