Sunday, May 31, 2009

Two Paths Diverged in a Wood

I got a belated birthday phone call from a friend I've known almost my whole life. She's about a year younger than me, we've both grown up in the same town, gone to the same schools, and our lives could hardly be more different if we tried.

Me: Always the good girl, no kids, single, working on my MA
Her: Partied a lot, two kids (two dads), recently married (dad to neither kid), still hasn't finished her BA

We haven't talked a lot in the past couple of years. As much as she's practically family, we haven't had much in common to talk about. Yet, it seems we're coming back to common ground. One marked similarity, is that we've both hit a point in our lives where we feel like something's missing. She's feeling the need to decide on a career path and wrap up that BA (she's changed majors a hundred times as she tries one out and decides it doesn't suit her). Me, I'm feeling okay with the whole job/school thing. I don't know yet what I want to do, but I've got time to figure it out. Me, I'm feeling very single and like it'd be nice to have a relationship.

It's like we're mirror images of each other. I find it oddly reassuring to be reminded that there are a lot of elements that go into a "full" life and no single thing can be the difference between being happy or not. It's all about balance.

1 comment:

Dan-E said...

hey girly, i like your blog. thanks for stopping by mine.