Monday, May 11, 2009

To Boff, or Not To Boff?

Where things will go, or not go, with Army Guy is still a mystery at this point. I'm skeptical of it becoming something long term - if nothing else, he may be moving in a few months and I don't think making a long-distance go of it is likely. But, before I think in a large scale time frame, I've got to negotiate the small scale one. One of the main issues there is whether or not to make Army Guy the 2nd notch on my bed post. (Yeah, 2nd. That wasn't a typo.)

My problem is trying to decide whether or not that would be a good idea. Secondary to that is deciding my timeline for making the decision to go for it or walk away. But, this post is all about that first decision. Since I like lists, I think I'll do pros and cons.

Pros:
  1. He's hot and we've got physical chemistry.
  2. I like him.
  3. I've been celibate for 2 years (so, you know, I'm kinda craving it).
  4. It'd be fun.
  5. I've only been with one guy, and I'm curious to see what it'd be like with a new one, especially since our heights are so close - certain logistics work better.
  6. Army Guy seems eager to please.
  7. So far, getting physical with him has been easy and not awkward as I had feared. I think we'd be compatible in bed.
  8. If he's really just wanting to get in my pants, the earlier I sleep with him, the earlier I'll know and can move on.

Cons:
  1. I'm still not really sure how seriously he's taking this whole me and him thing, and I'm not into sex for the sake of sex.
  2. I'm not sure if I'm really ready to feel the emotions that go along with sex.
  3. I've been celibate for 2 years (so, would I be doing it because I should, or because I'm just horny?)
  4. Getting me in bed may be his end-game and he'll lose interest in me after.
As you can see, my list of pros is longer, but the potential cons are more serious. And, in the end, I realize that these lists aren't really going to do me much good. Decisions like these don't really get made based on logic.

I'm going to have to trust my instincts. My instincts are usually good, even if I don't pay attention to them at the time. For instance, my 1st high school boyfriend was totally ready to have sex with me, but I kept our amorous adventures strictly above the belt. Going further just never really felt right. Between being too young, and the boy proving himself an ass, there are few decisions I have been so happy about making and sticking to. Then, with my ex-fiancee (aka the only guy I've slept with), it felt right, and for a long time, it was right.

I know that my instincts will serve me with Army Guy, too. My problem is figuring out which impulse I'm feeling (and I'm swinging back and forth between either side of the spectrum of going for it and calling the whole thing off) is instinct vs. insecurity, horniness, etc. I just keep thinking of Date 2 when I was on his couch and things were progressing. I kept asking myself, "Is this okay? Is this right?" I kept saying, "Yup. All's well." I asked myself, too, whether or not I could have sex with this guy. The answer was also positive. I just need to be sure whether or not it was my instinct or my libido.

Luckily, timing is on my side. This week I'm going out of town for a few days to visit one of my closest friends. She's probably the one person in the world who understands me the best and she can help me get perspective on what is really right for me (as opposed to what is right for any girl according to the Amanda rules of dating).

2 comments:

Jamy said...

Hey there--do you want advice? I hope so. :)

The question here is how do you feel about a short-term sexual relationship? If you're ok with that, boff at will. If you think it might leave you much unhappier than before, I'd hold off. It's pretty clear that, while Army Guy may genuinely like you, he is not available for a long term relationship. Those reasons probably have nothing to do with you, but his actions make it clear that he's not available.

Good luck!

Jean said...

Hey Jamy, you've got it exactly right. Right now it's all about trying to figure out what I want from Army Guy. My experience with my ex has left me gunshy/cynical about getting into another serious relationship, and maybe something a little more casual really would be okay for me now.