Saturday, May 23, 2009

Funny Boys

I'm going into my 5th week of going to the gym. Yeesh, May's gone by quickly. Nothing's changed on my bathroom scale, but I'm noticing a bit of a change. I've been able to increase the weights I'm using and I can feel some toughness in my biceps and calves. I'm starting to get toned. Yay for me!

I had another follow up with my personal trainer guy yesterday. He still doesn't quite know what to make of me. At the end of the appointment, he made a comment or two about his expertise, meant to either impress me or at least remind me that he knows what he's talking about. He had just shown me how to do oblique crunches and said, "Yeah, I've got hundreds more like that in my head," he tapped it for emphasis.

Well, yeah, I'd assume so, my friend. That's why you're the personal trainer, right?

He hasn't had many female clients and is still new to the personal training gig, so the bids to show off clearly come from him trying to bolster his confidence. It's endearing. I'm always interested in the contradictions in people and I find it entertaining that here's a body builder who's thrown off balance by me. Amanda says I tend to have this effect on people. I'm noticing it more and more.

Also hilarious - watching the undergrad. boys at the gym. They tend to wander around for a few minutes, lift a weight once or twice, then wander around for a few more minutes, deciding what to lift up next. Then they glance around to see if anyone's watching.

It's funny to me that, in the time I'm there, I tend to do more actual resistance training than them.

No comments: